You Know What I'm Going To Do This Week?

I'm going to do what people have been doing for centuries this time of year. I'll be doing something that humans have done since they first began to notice the cyclical nature of of the universe and the patterns inherent in nature.

I'm going to celebrate a day known in today's culture as the national holiday of Christmas.

On the modern western calendar it's called Christmas, but humans have celebrated this day for centuries before that. We all know winter is rough. But even though we have hit the darkest days, we know light is returning. So let's get out the party trappings, eat lots of food, celebrate with family, and give each other gifts for no real reason. Just celebrate because we're alive and on this earth and everything on this earth tends to go according to patterns. Sometimes the universe is chaotic and unfair and nature is unpredictable, but there are some things that are reliable. As of today, the days grow longer. It always does every year. Yay!

Why must people try to spoil my fun? Yes, I know it's called Christmas currently and is meant to mark a religious event (although historically inaccurate). I know I'm not going to church on Saturday and I know I'm a skeptic on religious matters. Why does that bar me from celebrating?

Maybe I'm not celebrating the exact same thing you're celebrating, or celebrating in the same way, but that doesn't make it wrong. I don't tell you that you're wrong for celebrating the way you do. I don't say that it's bad or hypocritical to co-opt Solstice/Yule/Saturnalia, etc. I think you should enjoy your holiday in whatever way pleases you the most. I will do the same for myself and my family. My expression of a holiday isn't meant to denigrate your religion, or stop you from having a religious observance. It's just me, doing what I do on a day that's been designated for it.

If you don't like the way I celebrate Christmas, then don't celebrate it with me! It's that simple. Of course I would be very happy if you did. You might find out my celebration isn't so bad. I think I'm a fun person. I have a nice family. The food is always good in my house. Try it my way. You might like it.

Just don't tell me I have no right to do what I do because it doesn't follow the confines of your religion. You don't have to celebrate it my way. I don't have to celebrate it your way. In the end, if we do it right, we all still enjoy the day and that's what counts.

Go in peace, my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2