Travels in Fire and Ice Day 9 - All At Sea

Not an interesting day travel wise. Sea days are one of the reasons I am not a cruise person. The ship isn’t a destination for me. The comfort here is I am on a ship as commodious as The Silver Moon and can enjoy the service and pampering.

I began my day like most others. I hit the gym. I didn’t wake up early enough to finish my workout and go to the 8:30 yoga class, so I headed back to my cabin and waited for breakfast to arrive.

After breakfast I remembered I didn’t need the ship’s yoga class since the Daily Burn app is on my iPad and I could pick any number of yoga classes to do after breakfast, so that’s what I did.

I had a loose agenda for the day that included sampling different foods and drinking at different bars all day. I also drew some inspiration from cruise vlogger Ilana Schattauer. She said during sea days it’s fun to do an “art walk” and take some time to walk around the ship and see every painting and sculpture. I thought that would be fun so we walked from the bottom deck to the top deck and examined every painting and tried to see if certain artists were displayed more than others and take photos of our favorites. (Modern French Impressionist Henri-Andre Martin made several appearances throughout the ship).


When we walked through the main lounge in Deck 5, I was waylaid by a bartender who was about to do a cocktail demonstration. I decided to make this part of my bar crawl.  The bartender gave recipes and told the history of three cocktails: Painkiller, Bahama Mama, and Planter’s Punch.  We had small samples of  each.  






We had our lunch at the pool grill.  I tried the jalapeño steak with a margarita.

After lunch I hit the pool. It hasn’t been swimming weather, but the pool is heated and there are hot tubs as well. I swam laps for about a half hour and then took fifteen minutes in the hot tub. I wasn’t the only one. It was funny to see passengers reading on lounge chairs, or walking on the track in coats and hats while other passengers were swimming.

I showered and changed and went to my next venue. Kevin and I had a snack at the Arts Cafe where they informally serve afternoon tea.  We had scones and cake and I had some champagne.  The cake was hazelnut, but not the same as I had last night.


Then it was back down to the Dolce Vita lounge for trivia.  We had a family team.


We didn’t come close to winning, but the cruise director willingly took a selfie with us.
Kevin and I enjoyed some music and relaxing in the Panorama Lounge.  We were having a late dinner so another cocktail couldn’t hurt.  



A raspberry rose’ spritz. 

Dinner was at the ship’s Japanese restaurant, Kaiseki.  



I began with a little wagyu skewer.


Next was a vegetable and miso soup with a vegetable gyoza.

Chicken katsu.


I didn’t have dessert here because it was chocolate extravaganza night.  No better way to end an evening!



I didn’t eat too much of this. There was so much it was overwhelming. Too many choices. Plus I was stuffed from a day of eating and drinking. I enjoyed walking around and admiring it all.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2