Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 1

Our plane landed on time and we arrived in Iceland to be greeted by weather that felt more like March than July.  The temps were in the high forties, the skies were cloudy and the wind was fierce. We had to disembark from the tarmac and take a bus to the terminal, so we got our first taste of Icelandic weather right from the start.

The Reykjavík airport is small and attractive (with hardwood - or at least simulated hardwood- floors) and well run. We cleared passport control in record time.  We got our luggage and met our driver and were on our way.

Everyone was still tired after the flight so we napped during the ride - me included. I felt guilty because I had FOMO about the beautiful rugged scenery.

Once we reached the port, we were too early to check so we had to wait around a bit.

Once check-in was open, it was shockingly fast. The only hold up we had was a failure with their credit card machines when they were registering for the onboard expenses.  Once we were registered we walked right on the ship.


It was cold going up the gangway.  As I reached the top I asked, “This is July?” I am a summer girl. I want my sunshine and shorts!

We checked out the lobby level while we waited for the rest of the family to check in.  I was suitably impressed.



It was noon at this point and our rooms wouldn’t be ready until 2PM, so we headed to the main dining room, Atlantide for lunch.

The view from the Atlantide windows was gorgeous.


As for lunch, I began with a delicious corn soup.


Next I had a salad with green, asparagus, and chorizo.


The main course was a spicy pulled pork with guacamole and a corn salad.  I drank a lovely Pinot noir with this meal as well.


Kevin and I shared a Black Forest cake for dessert. This was a little disappointing. It was soggy and the flavors for both the chocolate and the cherry were lackluster.


After lunch our rooms were ready. We had to take photos while it was still pristine and neat.


A bottle of champagne waited for us on the coffee table.




We have a giant balcony that we may never use.🥶


One of my bags wasn’t delivered right away, which scared me a bit, but eventually Pande, our steward came to introduce himself and deliver my bag.  Soon after we met our butler Mark who informed us of his services.

We are dorks hanging out cruise cards on lanyards on the hook by the door.


Kevin and I then did a bit more exploring of the ship.

There is a beautiful lounge on our deck.



The coffee shop is cute and quirky.


Of course I had to check out the pool. I am not sure I will use it. The water is heated, but not heated enough for this kind of chill.


Then we braved the winds on the open top deck for views and photos.




Back to our room for a shower and a rest.  Then the muster drill and dinner.

The family reconvened at that lovely lounge in the evening for pre dinner cocktails.  This is a well-made Tom Collins.


There was a presentation of the crew.  The cruise director introduced himself himself and then we were introduced to the full entertainment and care staff.



Time for dinner.  We had dinner at the shop’s specialty restaurant, S.A.L.T kitchen.  It stand for Sea and Land Taste and the food focuses on the cuisine of both the region and the current port.

It’s a pretty restaurant. I like the atmosphere here the best so far.


Dinner started with tomato onion bread in these little pots.  We had garlic butter to spread on it.


My appetizer was a carrot and radish salad with rye breadcrumbs.


Main course was goose breast on a creamy carrot purée. This was only the third time I have had goose (and the second time I was the one who cooked it).  The meat was a bit tough, but the overall execution of the dish was good.


My dessert was a cake with cream and meringue. It was simple, but delicious. It made up for the disappointing lunch dessert.


I drank the champagne from my room and yet another Pinot noir.

After dinner we returned to the lounge for a nightcap. We wanted to watch the ship sail away, but the wind was so fierce the tugboats couldn’t pull the ship out of port.  Would we make it to the next port on time or would we be stuck in Reykjavik?

I comforted myself with a limoncello.  A jazz trio had been playing in the evening, but they packed up and a DJ took over.  My family took responsibility for getting the dance floor started.


Finally I decided to call it a day and get some real sleep. At 11PM the ship was still docked. Would we make it to our next port? Stay tuned.

Alcohol units today: 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2