Random Thoughts 35



####

Fight me on this: Cider donuts are overrated. They're not bad (they're not pumpkin flavored after all) but I would rather drink a quality cup of fresh hot cider with a yeast donut, or a banana muffin, or even a croissant, than eat a cider-flavored cake donut. 

Better yet, an apple fritter!

###

The week before Election Day there were always campaign staff for various local politicians canvassing on the train platform in the mornings. They were constantly pushing leaflets at commuters. 

I tell every one of them it's environmentally irresponsible to keep leafleting people. It generates huge amounts of waste and kills trees for no reason. People don't hold on to the leaflets and I have seen piles of them in the trash at the end of the day. 

One of the leafletters said he agreed with me, but asked what could be done instead. I said I would vote for any politician who cared enough, and had the ability to do this kind of problem solving herself. (He then said his candidate would do so, but when I asked her plan, he couldn't tell me.)

Then I came up with a solution myself. The campaign staff should display a sign with a QR code that would lead to a campaign web page. Commuters are browsing their phones all morning while waiting for the train anyway, so why not check out a candidate's website? People who don't plan to vote, or already plan to vote for the other candidate, won't accept or won't read your leaflet. I don't think the QR code will have a bigger failure rate than a leaflet.

(Any Democratic politicians reading this are free to use that one.)

###

The Facebook algorithm isn’t always perfect. The last time I was browsing Facebook, it suggested I join an introverts group. Huh?

###

Speaking of the Facebook algorithm, every time I browse Facebook, it shows me short videos of people going off high dives or cliff diving. I can't imagine any reason why Facebook thinks I want to see divers. The clips always show the top of the dive. I never see anyone hit the water. It's sort of stressful to watch. Will the diver make it to the bottom? What if he misses? What if there is no water down there? What if she screws up the dive and seriously injures herself? I'll never know!

###

Now this is how you use a cup holder!

                                            

###

After watching the last season of The Crown, I realize I could never be a paparazzo (paparazza?) They have to hold their cameras up high above their heads to get shots above a crowd. I can't do that. I am too short. I could hold my camera high above my head and I would still have photos of other photographers' backs.

###

The internet keeps reminding me the last day of this year will be 123123.  However, this is only true if you live in the United States.

###

You can never try and do something. The only thing you can try and do is you can try - and fail.

You can, however, try TO to anything you would like to do.

This as been a PSA from your friendly neighbor English language enthusiast.

###

Have any dressage competitors ever used Bring on the Dancing Horses by Echo and the Bunnymen for a musical freestyle? I feel like someone needs to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2