Welcome to July

So it's been a few weeks since I posted about what's going on with me. We have a new month now, and for me, a new year is approaching. July promises to be an exciting month, and despite a few minor inconveniences like getting older, I'm looking forward to it.

So how is my "new" job? So far so good. Every morning I go there dreading it because I have so much to learn and a strong fear that I'm never going to learn it all. At the end of the day, I end up feeling much more confident because I'm slowly starting to take on client requests (even if they are with someone watching over me every step of the way). Yesterday I did my first ticket from beginning to completion and it was a pretty satisfying feeling. I realize that the learning curve is steep, but I'm slowly convincing myself that I'm going to get it eventually.

The corporate culture at this sister company is way different from the one at Herold. At Herold we're all quite relaxed. Everyone is constantly goofing around. Jovial banter rings out from every corner of the office. We dress extremely casually unless there is an occasion not to. It's way more subdued at Global Insight. I have not really met any more than 4 of my coworkers. They don't bother to introduce themselves. When you walk into that office it's almost church-like. It takes some getting used to. I'm thinking I need to bake some cookies for them all soon so I can break the ice.

I'm finding I don't mind the commute at all. The novelty of working in the city has yet to wear off. When I wanted a new dress recently, I had plenty of options for shopping within two blocks. I found a used bookstore on 45th street. Yesterday I spent my lunch hour in Bryant Park listening to live piano music. I was able to meet my mother easily after work for an evening performance of ABT's Swan Lake. When I have to have dinner on my own in the evenings, I've grown addicted to the tapas bar in the Met Life building, where I can sip an unusual dry rose` and munch on manchego and serrano and croquettas and albondigas.

I know the novelty will wear off eventually. Yesterday while walking back to the office from the park I surveyed the crowds and smelled the air and thought, "God, I hate the city and I can't wait to be in Chincoteague." Well, maybe once I really start hating being in the city, I'll be fully trained and won't need to go there anymore. I'm assuming once I'm trained I will be able to do my GI duties from the CT office.

Plenty of exciting things are happening this month. I have so much to look forward to. I hope it call all live up to my expectations. Here's the list. I think it sounds pretty good.

July 7 - Mike and I will be going to A Midsummer Night Swing. I have wanted to do this for years. I always loved the idea of dancing under the stars to a live band. I don't want 3 years of ballroom dance lessons to go to waste (and Mike has had even more dance lessons than I have). With Mike back in New York and me working in the city, it seems ridiculous not to go.

July 16 - Um, we won't talk about that.

July 21 - Dad is taking me to dinner at The Modern. Hooray for family celebrations! The restaurant looks amazing. It's quite an opportunity for a humble peasant like me.

July 23 - I bought myself tickets for South Pacific for this night. South Pacific is one of my favorite musicals, although I have never seen it staged. I have only ever seen it on the small screen. For the past two years I had secretly hoped someone might buy me tickets. It didn't happen and then I heard it was closing in August. I realized I couldn't wait for someone else to come to my rescue. I had to take matters into my own hands. I bought myself a pair of the cheap seats.

July 25 - I leave for Chincoteague for the week. Need I say more.

Okay, I said I wouldn't talk about the day I turn 25, and I mostly mean that. It's just that I've speculated a bit about what I should be doing that day and with two weeks to go, I ought to be more concerned. I have decided not to worry about it. Whatever happens will happen. I'm just going to go wtih the flow.

Oddly enough, I have no plans for the 4th of July weekend other than hanging with the girls (horses) for all three days and seeing the fireworks on Sunday. I was wondering if I should remedy that, but I think with everything else going on, a leisurely weekend will be welcome.

July is so full of stuff and I have nothing doing in August. That should be remedied. Who wants to make some plans? One should never waste summer days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North