The Most Politically Incorrect Blog Post I Have Ever Made


…will never actually be posted.

I have had something on my mind for quite some time now.  I know that it would be a very interesting and thought-provoking topic for a blog post. 

I could never post that blog though.  That post brings into question one of our society’s most sacred of sacred cows.  It’s an untouchable subject.   Even my liberal friends would find it offensive.   Even my liberal friends who might agree with it deep down would still feel obliged to be outraged about it in public.  That post subject is pure taboo.

This post is not about that topic, but about the nature of blogging in general.  What lines should a blogger allow herself to cross?

As someone who has been online before being online was cool, I know very well that anything you put out there online is out there for criticism and judgment.  One major internet rule that everyone should learn is that if you put something out there (whether it’s in a forum, FB post, Tweet, or email) in order to get a reaction, don’t be surprised if you don’t get the reaction you want.  I love to think my politically incorrect blog would make people think, make people say that I’m making them see things differently,  but most likely, I’d be completely demonized by anyone who read the post. 

What’s interesting is that I started to consider what would happen if I posted it.  What if I made a lot of people angry?  Maybe it would bring my blog more attention. 

I imagined what it would be like if I posted it and the outrage went viral.  I’d be the most hated woman in the country, but I’d know my voice was heard.  If my blog were acknowledged by millions, I might actually be starting that conversation my post was meant to provoke.  I’m sure there are people out there who would agree with me.  I might have a network of loyal supporters and I could sit back and watch them debate my detractors. 

Could I handle that kind of fame?  As someone who craves attention constantly, I could be in my glory.  Maybe I would learn to enjoy all of the negative attention, knowing I had that much power to get a rise out of people. 

In the end, I know I will never do it.  It’s not just because I couldn’t handle the negative reactions.  It’s also because in the end, I don’t think making my opinion known, or even agreed with, will contribute to a better world.  I know that many people will feel very hurt by it.  My blog would not be intended to be hurtful to certain people, but I know they will be hurt by it nonetheless.  They wouldn’t be able to not take it personally.  I did consider for a moment about how this topic is a symptom of one of society’s greatest ills and that maybe I should post the blog to begin a dialog about the greater issue.  I know that’s not going to happen.  Our societal ills have been with us far too long and won’t be cured by a blog post.

I wonder how many other blogs I will wimp out of writing.  Am I being a wimp?  Am I being kind?  Am I being discreet? I suppose I am being all of those things.  The advantage of being a blogger is that ultimately you choose what it is you want to say. 

No, I am not going to tell you what the blog was about, so don't ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2