Hair Apparent?

I remember a time when any little thought that came into my head was cause for a blog.  My old MySpace blog was updated almost daily.  Now it seems Shipwrecked & Comatose is more political rants than anything else.  I don't mean for that to happen really.   I suppose the more trivial stuff is best expressed in a few Facebook soundbites.  I don't want Facebook to kill my blog though.  I need the writing practice.

So today's trivial topic is hair.  I'm getting my hair cut in two days.  What should I do with it?

I haven't changed my hair much in the past two decades.  I have taken to wearing it long for a few reasons.  The first is that being a dramatic type I love the over-the-top look of my naturally big hair.  It makes a statement to have this cascade of raven ringlets.  It's also about practicality.  I need to be able to tie my hair back when I ride or work out (or I'm just having a bad hair day). I could go back to wearing my hair super-short, as I did in high school, but that requires a lot of maintenance (very regular haircuts).  Even short I would still have to deal with my hair being a frizzy poofball on humid days and I wouldn't be able to just slick it back.  (Super short is also dramatic though.)

For several years my preferred look was to wear bangs, blow them dry, and sweep them to the side.  The rest of my hair was mostly the same length.  This looked fine on good hair days, but when it was hot and humid, my bangs would sort of clump together in one big banana curl that hung down one side of my forehead.  I realized after a while the bangs would have to go.

I spent several more years doing long layers with a fairly sharp angle in the front.  My inspiration was Debra Messing, although I tended to think more of her in hear early, curly, Will and Grace years when asking for her cut.   Over time she began straightening her curls, and her style became less relevant to my hair.

At my last haircut, nearly a year ago, I decided I needed something new.  I searched for inspiration.  It came in an unlikely place.  I am not, and never was, a Sex in the City fan, but I happened to tune into it one dull afternoon while channel surfing.  I saw my inspiration right there.  Sarah Jessica Parker was sporting ringlets rather than a blowout that day.  Her hair was even brown rather than fake blonde or that weird, dark-rooted, half-blonde thing she often does.  The cut was perfect.

The problem was I couldn't find a picture of it.  Sarah Jessica Parker probably has more photos on the web than any other actress and yet no photo looked quite like the cut on that show.  I couldn't remember what the show was about, so I couldn't say, "I want the cut from the episode where SJP did so-and-so."  Even if I could, it wouldn't matter since my hair stylist never watched the show either.  I finally found a photo that was as close as it would come.



The hairdresser was shocked when I brought it in.  The cut was blunt and shoulder length. That's quite a change for me.  I wanted change.  I told her to go for it.  By the time my hair was cut and the curls had tightened up, my hair was actually above my shoulders.  It was quite a change, but I did like it, and received many compliments, so it wasn't a mistake.  I could still tie it back when I needed to.  After a few months I started to wonder if I wanted to cut it off again.  Should I stick with the shoulder-length cut?  If so, it was time for a haircut. 

Then along came Andie MacDowell.  She was my hair idol when I was in sporting the cropped look in high school.  I'd look at her hair wistfully and think, "If I grew my hair long, would it look like that?"  I was afraid to try for the longest time.  I couldn't bear to think of how long it would take to grow my hair out and it might not look good anyway.  Then I finally grew my hair out and MacDowell starting regularly sporting blowouts.  I was sort of angry.  I considered her a betrayer to her curly sisters.

So while I was contemplating trimming my hair to maintain the shorter cut, I once more was channel surfing on a dull afternoon and saw that some cable channel was starting up a new drama series starring Andie MacDowell.  In the coming attractions her hair was curly again.  I loved the cut.  I wanted it.  I realized that I had to find some photos of her in that show and wear that style.  The problem was that I would need to grow my hair out again.  It would take a few months to achieve the style I wanted.























So I didn't get a haircut for almost a year.  I grew it out.  What's the problem here?  I picked a cut, right?  I'm good to go for my next haircut.

The problem is I found another inspiration.

Kevin and I have become pretty big Dr. Who geeks in that past year.  You can't watch Dr. Who 10 or 11 without knowing about River Song.

River Song, aka Melody Pond,  is one of the most fascinating characters on the show. She is the daughter of 11's companions Amy and Rory.  She was conceived in the TARDIS, so she had inborn time lord power.  She was once able to regenerate and change form as The Doctor could.  Amy never realized her childhood friend "Mels" was her own daughter from the future. In one episode River sacrificed her regenerative powers to save The Doctor's life, so she's permanently in one form.  The Doctor met River for the first time on the day she died, but it was not the first time she met him.  Her past is his future.  We don't know yet how after River was stolen from Amy after her birth that she was able to join Amy as a schoolgirl and then ended up on a time continuum different from that of her mother and The Doctor.  It is an ongoing mystery. 

Of course none of that is relevant to this blog.  What about her is relevant?
Nice haircut, no?  My hair texture is very much like actress Alex Kingston's.  I could do this look pretty well I think.

Of course if I do cut my hair like this, all of those months I spent growing it out for the last haircut will be wasted.  This cut would be even shorter than my last cut. 

I was almost tempted to post a poll on Facebook asking my friends what haircut I think I should get.  The problem is I know too many Dr. Who geeks and they will choose the River Song cut out of bias rather than out of which cut would look best on me. 

I have two more days to decide.  Maybe I should just shave it all off and buy a wig.

Once my hair is cut, it's sadly not over.  The grays in my hair are really beginning to multiply.  To dye or not to dye?  If I dye, what color do I want? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North