Random Thoughts 23

                                                                    

I don't think the modern United Kingdom is a particularly violent country, but sometimes I feel like its inhabitants are obsessed with murder.  Think of how many murder mystery books and TV shows come out of the UK.  We have the classics like Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie.  In more modern times we have Midsommar Murders, Vera, Unforgotten, Shetland, Broadchurch, and the list goes on.  Is it the gloomy weather that makes everyone there so obsessed with death? I know Americans love violence and death and TV shows about crime, but I think the Brits are way ahead of us. 

                                                                    

One of the biggest controversies of the pop culture world is whether or not Die Hard is a Christmas movie.  It made me wonder if I would consider it as such.  The problem is I have no memory of the movie taking place at Christmas.  The only memory I have of watching Die Hard was begging for it end.  It bored me to tears.  I thought the bank robbers were ridiculous and Bruce Willis was obnoxious.  For me to evaluate whether or not it is a Christmas movie, I would have to go back and watch it again.  There is no way I will ever do that. 

                             

I was raised Catholic and spent my fair share of time among Protestants as well, so the Our Father prayer is one I know well.  I memorized it at a young age.  Recently I had a rather disturbing thought about this.  There is a line, "Lead me not into temptation."  Why would God even do that to His followers? Isn't that Satan's job?  There is an old joke out there that says, "Lead me not into temptation.  I can find it myself."  That's true.  Humans are tempted with evil at every turn.  Why would God lead them into it if He doesn't want people to sin?  Why do we beg God not to lead us down the wrong path?  Do we believe God is the one who would lead?  I think we need to get rid of the "Lead us not into temptation," part and skip right to the "Deliver us from evil," part.  That line makes more sense.  

                                                                     

Marriage is receiving a piece of junk mail addressed to "Resident" or "Our Friends" or "Our Neighbors" and neither of you throws it out because you think the other one might want to read it.

                                                              

People say they are overwhelmed and underwhelmed.  What is it like to simply be whelmed?  It’s like asking if anyone out there has even felt combobulated.

                                                                   

With everything going down with Prince Andrew, Fergie’s toe sucking doesn’t seem so bad anymore, does it?

                                                

What I learned today: A day off spent entirely at home and Poshmark are a deadly combination.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2