A Postcard from the Future

After struggling for a few years to lose the weight I gained after surgery, and dealing with subsequent injuries, I rejoined the Precision Nutrition Coaching Program this year (formerly known as Lean Eating).  I will not be using this blog to bore readers with every detail as I did the last time. (If that interests you, I have a lesser-read public blog where I talk more extensively about the program and I will provide a link if you feel you must read it)  Regardless, I need to share a bit about my goals and dreams, because I see everything I want and everything I need to work on in the months ahead.  It's  worth sharing.  I hope readers can find their own inspiration and their own purpose as they read this.

When the program began, there was a coaching lesson about having a "Destination Postcard".  The idea was for participants to visualize their goals and imagine what their lives would be a year from now.  The lesson suggested we write our goals down, create vision boards, or scrapbook our favorite ideas.  I took the advice in a halfhearted manner.  I created a Pinterest board with some ideas, but I didn't let it inspire me the way it was supposed to.  I knew what my goals were.  I didn't need to do any soul searching, did I?

One of my non-fitness goals at the beginning of the year was to start seriously saving money.  I paid off my credit card this month and I was ready to put money away.  I want to buy a new car next year (my little car has been running faithfully for 12 years, but I don't know how much I can keep her running).  I also want to celebrate my upcoming landmark birthday with a trip to Scotland.  I had a plan and a budget to put a certain amount away every month so I would have a generous down payment for the car and a bit leftover to put towards the trip.

Life never goes as it should.  I was hit with unexpected bills from all sides this month and I still have at least two more coming.  Now that I am debt-free, I can pay them, but it leaves me little left over for savings.  That potential down payment on the new car shrinks a little bit every week.  That trip to Scotland seems like more of an impossible dream.

Then I realized something.  The Precision Nutrition program is a contest.  There are prizes awarded for the best transformation.  The grand prize is ten thousand dollars.  There are several lesser monetary prizes.

When I did the program the last time, I didn't even consider going for the prize.  The prize should go to people with triple digits to lose and close adherence to the program.  That wasn't me.  I only aimed to lose 25 pounds at the time and didn't think I would achieve that (I didn't).  I was willing to do the work, but there was a limit to how much work.  I was happy just to lose weight.  I didn't need to win money.

I look at everything I want for myself in the coming year and I realize this time I want to play to win.

As I lay awake unable to sleep last night, I started thinking more about that destination postcard.  What do I really want to achieve this year?  I wasn't only thinking about my weight.  I was thinking about my entire life.  What did I want to happen a year from now?  I came up with a list.

I want to lose 32 more pounds (I lost 8 pounds so far since the beginning of the year).

I want to win the Precision Nutrition contest.  Even if I don't win the grand prize, I want one of the lesser cash prizes.

I want a new car next year and a good down payment to buy it with.

I want to go to Scotland next year.

I want to not be a typical Fat American on the family trip to Spain this summer.

When I took my annual beach vacation to Chincoteague last summer, I bought a cute new bathing suit and took a picture of me wearing it.  I want to wear that suit (weather permitting) when I return to Chincoteague in September and photograph myself it.  I want to  see a noticeable difference between the two photos.

I want to make over my balcony into a peaceful garden oasis.  I want to lay down decking and fill the space with lush plantings and comfortable furniture.

I want to exceed my PR for squat weight (at least 80 pounds).

I want to try aerial classes (either lyra or silks or maybe both).

I want to be light and effective when I ride Riddle and ride her without fear.

I want to perform in Working this spring with every song, every line, and every piece of staging on point.

I want to give a brilliant singing performance at this year's dance recital  (I will be mostly singing rather than dancing this spring.)

I intend to audition for any show I think will cast me this fall.

My job responsibilities are changing at work.  I want to perform them to the best of my ability and really shine.

I want to leverage those job responsibilities to enable me to find a better paying job next year.

I want to shop for a smaller sized new wardrobe with a personal stylist.

I want to do what it takes to work on my sleep issues so I am not lying awake at night contemplating life.

I need to remember self care.  My body does better with regular stretching.  My mind seems to respond to regular meditation.  I also should not deprive myself of a good massage if my muscles feel too achy to function properly.

When it comes to how I intend to lose those forty pounds, I have a list of behaviors I need to adjust to get me to my goal.  I won't list them here because if you read this far, you are probably sick of reading lists.  They're boring.  However, one thing I will say is that any time I feel tempted to stray from the program, I will remind myself of how badly I want that car.  If I'm in it to win it, then I need to walk the walk (Wow! Two cliches in one sentence!).  It's not enough to read the rules.  I have to live these habits.  They have to be part of my everyday life.

Time will tell if the postcard in my head becomes the postcard I create in real life.  This is just about my "After" photo.  It's about everything that comes after "After".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

My Strangest Superstition

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North