Random Thoughts 18

I noticed something about working out at home instead of at the gym.  When I squat I always want to face the window.  When I deadlift, I always face the kitchen.  Why is that?  Am I showing off my butt to the neighbors subconsciously? 

I hate it when people call spaghetti "spaghetti noodles".  Do you understand how redundant that is? 

You know what I find interesting?  The icon to save files in most software programs is a 3.5" floppy dish graphic.  Do people under the age of 40 even know what that is?  Do young people look at those icons and wonder what they are supposed to represent? 

I am sure humans will go extinct one day, but I don't think it's going to be through nuclear war or an asteroid the way most people speculate.  We are a species that is being done in by its own stupidity.  We are dying of our own willful ignorance and denial of facts.  Think about how stupid people are.  We have known for over 60 years that smoking causes lung cancer (and emphysema, and it is a contributor to many other fatal conditions) and yet young people keep taking it up.  We know the sun causes skin cancer, but we still pursue a tan for the sheer ridiculousness of vanity.  The polar ice caps are melting before our very eyes and catastrophic weather patterns are ravaging every corner of the globe, but many of us want to deny global warming because we somehow think it's tied to political ideology (Global warming isn't a new liberal postulation.  Scientists have been warning us of the trends since the 1950s).  Instead of reducing how much we drink before getting behind the wheel, we tip each other off on how to avoid sobriety checkpoints.  HUMANS ARE A BUNCH OF SUICIDAL IDIOTS!

One of the saddest phrases in the English language:  Gluten-free and vegan dessert

If they ever made another season of Blackadder, what era would it be set in and what would Blackadder do (or try hard not to do) for a living?  
 
Spell check is an odd thing.  There are many legitimate words it doesn't seem to like.  I write a food blog and I can't get spell check to accept a common cooking term like bechemel, or more recently, manicotti.  Blogger needs to update its dictionaries.  It’s owned by Google.  One would think Google would be up to date on culinary terms.
 
Speaking of my food blog, my most recent recipe was inspired by one of the "Tasty" videos, although it didn't follow the exact recipe because I wanted it to be a truly homemade dish.  How many Facebook users make those recipes?  They are such fat calorie bombs.  They are always filled with white starch and cheese along with plenty of other processed foods.  I am hardly a paragon of healthful eating, but sometimes I look at those recipes and feel a little sick.  I’m an unrepentant omnivore and I think those recipes are insanely meat-heavy.  (The alternative to this is I am now seeing a lot vegan recipes put out by the companies that make all sorts of factory-made meat and dairy amalgams, which also turn me off. ) I think these videos give the wrong impression that simple cooking and nutritious cooking are not compatible.

Comments

  1. My comment is love ya all. Ruminate. There is so much I can say. My family in Maine USA had PBS (Public Broadcast System) we watched British stuff because of PBS. My family to this day can be stopped or waylaid by a Black Card conversation pull. US perspective is here for you if wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2