Week 27 - Lost a Little Momentum. Gearing Up for the Big Challenge

So I gained a little weight this week.  I had really hoped after I dropped down to my lowest weight yet that I would keep going. That was not to be.  I gained 1.6 pounds and my measurements stayed the same. 

I am learning my lessons just how much those big indulgences count.  You think that just once can't hurt.  It does. 

Sunday evening I had a big family dinner at Virgil's Barbecue (we also saw Matilda - a show I highly recommend).  I let myself go hog wild (pun intended I think) there.  I ordered a plate of hush puppies for the table.  I love hush puppies and rarely ever see them on menus around here, so I ordered them against my better judgment.  Hush puppies don't need butter.  Unfortunately, once you try Virgil's maple butter, the word "need" becomes sort of irrelevant.  I really overate that night and I'm not sure my body quite recovered from the experience.  It certainly didn't recover quickly. 

To counteract that, I did myself proud later in the week.  Tuesday was my birthday.  For months I have been telling myself that on my birthday I would have whatever I wanted for lunch.  There is a crazy amount of temptation in the neighborhood surrounding my office, from places that specialize in grilled cheese to Chinese dumpling shops.  When birthday lunch time rolled around, I found myself asking, "Do I really want to keep my momentum going?  Do I really need a fattening lunch to celebrate my birthday?  Will it make the day that much better?  Aren't Kevin and I going out to dinner tonightDon't you have a swimsuit vacation next week?"  I had a salad and saved the indulgence for dinner.  At dinner when the bread basket was placed on the table, I told myself that I could ride out my hunger and save my appetite for the best part of the meal.  Even though the restaurant where we had dinner was not one of those places that serves giant portions, I ate very slowly and mindfully and felt perfectly satisfied eating only half of my dinner and wrapping up the rest. 

So this week I lose a point, gain a point, and gain a pound. 

Next week comes the real challenge.

I'm off to Chincoteague tomorrow.  That means eating out for every meal at restaurants not known for nutritious, low-cal choices.  Chincoteague is known for all kinds of seafood, which would fit well in a healthful eating plan.  Unfortunately I don't like seafood.

All I can do is make sure I do all of my workouts and follow as many habits as possible.  The gym at my hotel is pretty lame, but I'm taking my bands and I will come up with a hardcore strength workout using those.  I will also have plenty of ocean swimming and boogie boarding, biking, paddle-boarding, and riding to keep me moving. 

Habits are going to be a little tougher.  Some will be more difficult than others given the food choices available in Chincoteague.  Let's take a look at them all and see which ones I can stick to.

1.  Take a fish oil and probiotic daily - Easy as long as I remember to pack them.

2.  Eat slowly - I can do that one anywhere.  I am really improving with this habit.

3.  Stop eating when 80% full -  This one is easier said than done.  If something is really tasty, it can be hard to stop.  Also, I hate wasting food and doggie bags are impractical if you're staying in a hotel.  I have to be willing to leave something on my plate for week.  Still this is also a habit I can do anywhere.

4.  Eat lean protein at every meal - Hmmmm....I can't guarantee the proteins available will always be lean.

5.  Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables each day - Chincoteague isn't the most vegetable-friendly place when you're always eating out.  I am allowed to swap out one serving for fruit though.  That will make breakfast much easier.

6.  Make "smart" carb choices - LE defines smart carbs as foods like vegetables, fruits, and intact grains.  Intact grains may be hard to come by.  I suspect I may be stuck with sandwiches at lunch as well.  I may have to put this habit on hold most days.

7.  Plan LE-friendly meals - I can always look at menus ahead of time and decide what to order before I go out.  I have a pretty good idea of what most places in town serve.  I can't plan my meals to the letter, but I can map out some workable strategies.

8. Write everything down, or at least be conscious of what you eat - I hate writing all of my foods down, but it will be simple and wise to record meals this week.  That way I can't complain that I "behaved" myself all week and gained 5 pounds.  I'll be a bit more accountable.

9.  Get 7 hours of sleep every night -  Pony Swim week?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

10.  Drink only non-caloric beverages - This should be easy, but I know it often won't be.  I drink just water with breakfast and lunch on a daily basis.  When I eat at home I drink water or club soda with dinner.  When I'm out I do tend to drink wine or cocktails.  I will be eating out nightly.  I will really have to challenge myself to see how many nights I can just drink water. 

11.  Take a BCAA after every workout (also do some recovery activities like foam rolling or active recovery exercise) - Just like Habit #1, as long as I remember to pack it, I can take it.  I'm also planning to pack a foam roller.  I also have tons of active recovery activities planned.

12.  Eat only whole foods - Yikes!  See habits 4, 5, 6, and 10.  This one will really be hard. 

13.  Eat protein and vegetables at every meal - When I'm home I typically do just that.  Again, see habits 4 and 5.  It will be harder in Chincoteague.  At least I can swap out fruit at one meal, so I don't have to panic at breakfast.  My hotel serves a free breakfast and there are no veggies in sight.  They do have eggs and fruit though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North