Random Thoughts 17


  • Why do some people feel the need to dictate what others can and can't be offended by?  Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean it invalidates the way others feel.  Even if that person's view is unsupported by facts or ethics, the correct reaction is to educate, not berate.
  • In the past three months I have done a lot of quarantine baking.  I baked less than many of my peers, but I'm home much more than I used to be, so I'm baking much more often than I was before the lockdown.  So far I made blondies, scones, sticky buns, sweet biscuits, savory biscuits, a pie (sort of), pizza, cupcakes, and a layer cake.   My upcoming plans for baking projects include sesame bars, tiramisu, and coconut cake.You know what I haven't made?  I haven't made banana bread.  I have not baked a single loaf of banana bread. It's not even on my list.  Am I the only COVID-19 Quarantine baker who hasn't made banana bread yet?
  • You know what is the most frustrating aspect of autocorrect?  It's a pain when it corrects a word that is spelled exactly how I want it spelled or assumes I am trying to write a different word, but that's not what bothers me the most.  What bothers me the most is when it refuses to correct something I want corrected.  I know I'm a sloppy typist.  Sometimes I am typing a word and I see I put in a wrong letter.  Rather than stop and correct it, I assume autocorrect will take care of it.  Even though the word in question is blatantly misspelled and not any word recognizable in the English language, autocorrect makes no attempt to fix it.  Instead it puts a red underline under the word and makes me go back and change it myself.  Is that fair? 
  • The quarantine has reinforced for me how much I love my husband's hair.  Now that he can't have it cut, it's is growing and it is glorious.  I want to stick my hands in it and grab handfuls of it.  He has the hair I wish I had.  It's straight and sleek, but still so thick.  In my freshman year of college I had a roommate who was known for her beautiful long hair.  It was light brown and thick and super-straight.  Everyone knew her as the girl with the hair.  I loved and envied her hair.  If Kevin were a woman his hair would likely be that beautiful (but I don't want him to grow it that long himself because I like my men clean cut).  If I thought our children would inherit his hair I would have reconsidered the whole child-free thing.  On top of that he has fewer gray hairs than I do and he's eleven years my senior - so unfair!  
  • Why do some white people want so badly to believe systemic racism doesn't exist?  Day after day my social media feeds are filled with white people sharing stuff from some black celebrity or politician who happens to agree with their views. These white people victoriously declare this as universal confirmation of their own rightness. Why is it so hard to admit racism?  Why can't these people believe that there are hundreds more black stories out there that aren't being told by wealthy black celebrities?  What harm would it do to listen and believe?  Would it make them feel that bad about themselves to know the pain of others?  Would it make them feel obligated to do something about it?  Would it be too painful to admit they really do have white privilege and aren't morally superior to blacks?  
  • True fact:  The word sherbet has only one R. 
  • Am I the only one who hates the online phrase SMH?  It always comes across as condescending to me.  When you say SMH, it looks as if one is trying to show off one’s disapproval.  “Look at me.  I am better than you because I disapprove of this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2