Something Silly I Realized About Myself

As most people know, I am not a big coffee aficionado.  I liken coffee to vanilla.  Coffee, like vanilla, can be a good flavor enhancer for desserts (but is not a good standalone flavor such as in vanilla ice cream - BORING), but a straight up cup of the stuff can be a bit unpleasant tasting, just as drinking vanilla extract or eating the contents of a vanilla bean isn't an enjoyable experience. A plain cup of mere coffee is a foul tasting cup of mud.  

More importantly, I have never wanted to be the kind of person who is dependent on coffee to get through the day.  I see too many people caught up in the endless cycle of needing that constant jolt to the nervous system to avoid crashing.  I know it's harmless, but to me that's no way to live your life.  I don’t want to live from cup to cup.  

It's funny how when I tell people that, they wonder how I function.  Do I drink tea instead?  Am I a soda junkie?  I must get my energy from somewhere.  It's amazing how our society seems to think caffeine addiction is a natural part of human biology rather than something we inflict upon ourselves.

I won't say I don't drink coffee at all.  I drink one cup a day (with lots of milk to mitigate the bitterness and acidity) as a ritual to start my day. Sometimes I need it as a preventative before long drives to keep me from nodding off behind the wheel.  Most of the time I can go without it and not suffer any ill effects.  

As a way to save money, and to avoid going out too much during the pandemic, I decided to make more coffee at home.  I liked the ritual of going out for coffee when I was at work, but these are strange times.  If I'm home all day and have the time to make my own coffee, why not save some money and do so?

I own a large electric drip coffee maker that serves me well when I need to make several cups of coffee for dinner parties and holidays, but it's overkill when all I want is one cup.  I bought a French press so I could make one cup at a time with no fuss.  I was also told coffee brewed this way is much less acidic than drip coffee.  I do what it takes to make coffee more palatable.

Then I learned conventional coffee grounds don't work will with French presses because they are too fine and can bleed through the mesh in the plunger.  A French press requires a coarse grind.  The supermarket brands only have finely ground coffee or whole beans.  I tried ordering coarse ground coffee online, but I wondered if I was still saving money if I was paying shipping on top of the cost of the coffee.  

I decided the only thing to do was buy whole beans and grind them myself.  That gave me the added advantage of being able to buy locally-roasted, fair trade coffee at the farmers' market (there is a vendor at the Larchmont market who sells one of the more palatable varieties).  This meant I also had to buy a grinder.

For the record, I purchased a French press, specialty beans, and an electric coffee grinder all so I could make a single cup of coffee every day.*  

Let that sink in.

I would end this post there, but last week while chatting with my coffee bean vendor, I got the real ending to this story.  

Due to popular demand, he began selling a French press grind.

*I also put an enormous amount of work into creating this one cup of coffee, precisely measuring my grounds and water, using a timer for steeping, and even measuring how much milk I use.  Pretty amusing for someone who doesn't like coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2