An Orchid Evening

The New York Botanical Gardens is a special place. It is a nature-filled retreat from the crowds and stink of New York City.  It has beautifully landscaped gardens, peaceful woodland trails, and a conservatory showcasing the best of all global ecosystems.  It is one of the city's crowning achievements.

I almost never go there.  

It's not that I don't want to go there, but I rarely have a reason to do so.  Why should I drive to the Bronx, pay for parking, and then pay admission to see nature and gardens when I live in the suburbs and have easy access to natural wonders for free (or at least much cheaper)?

I think the people who run NYBG know suburbanites (who aren't serious gardeners or botany nerds) don't have much reason to visit, so they need to come up with events to lure visitors to the big city for something new and different.  They have done a splendid job over the years.

During the December holidays, they present the annual Holiday Train show.  Everyone should see this whimsical and creative display once.  



Their most popular event ever was the Chihuly Nights exhibit.  Dale Chihuly glass sculptures were illuminated and displayed throughout the conservatory, making the entire area looking like some magical other world.  It also featured multiple cocktail bars and live music. 



Another annual event is the Orchid Show.  I had never been to the Orchid Show before this year.  I never gave it much thought.  I am not an orchid fancier.  I wasn't sure what the Orchid Show could offer me.  

Right before the pandemic started, my friend Rich mentioned it would be fun to go to the Orchid Show.  I am always up for a new and different outing with friends and I decided it was time to see what the Orchid Show was all about.  Unfortunately, COVID killed our plans. 

This year the Orchid Show returned.  NYBG described the event as a "kaleidescope" created by floral designer, Jeff Leatham.  From what I saw on the website, it looked spectacular.  Rich suggested we make another effort to go this year.

What's even better is I learned for a few weeks they would be doing an adults-only Orchid Evenings, that would include lights, dance and music performances, cocktails, and food trucks.  If it was half as magical as Chihuly nights, I knew it would be a worthwhile experience.  We made our trip this weekend and it did not disappoint.

As you approach the visitors’ center, the lamps along the pathways cast leaf shadows on the ground.

The show takes place in the Conservatory.  The outside is lit up with colored lights. The bar is conventionally placed before the entrance.

A troupe of musicians and dancers entertains the crowds.



Then we entered and were dazzled by the colors.





There were rooms so beautifully hung with flowers I wanted to live in them.





There were so creative displays, like hanging them upside down from the ceiling like chandeliers.



I’m not sure what the purpose of the tunnel was, but visitors were eager to take their Instagram photos in it.  The colored lights were always changing here.


Back at the Visitors’ Center there was a DJ, and food concessions that came from popular food trucks in the area.  We opted not to eat there that night (I suppose it was a foodie failure on my part), but one of the booths, Hangry Dog, was at the Bryant Park Holiday Market last season and I tried one of their potato crusted mozzarella corn dogs. (Too much cheese and not enough hot dog.)


Events like these are best shared with friends.  I am kicking myself for not having someone take a group photo.



Although it was a bit crowded and some of the rooms were poorly lit (I can’t say I got much of the educational aspect of this evening because the rush of people and lack of light sometimes made it difficult to read the interpretive signs), it was a great evening.  I recommend it for someone looking for a night out that’s a bit different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2