Random Thoughts 25

Can one watch TV without cable, satellite, or streaming anymore?  Is it possible to watch TV over the airwaves?  Do TV stations still broadcast?  Can I stick an antenna on my TV or my roof and watch channels 2-13?  Are the TV sets you buy today even capable of doing this?

Kia is my favorite car brand.  Do you know why?  It's because their commercials show a compact sedan driving up Pike's Peak.  That's right.  A car company is telling the public one does not need a giant, emissions-belching, gas guzzler to go out and have an adventure.  Thank you Kia for doing your part to save this planet. 

How to be dumb:  This scenario happens to me way too often.  I want to be eco friendly and cut as much single-use plastic from my home, so I buy my laundry detergent in tablet form.  When I do my laundry, I stick the tablets and my laundry card in my pocket and take it all to the laundry room.  I start the washer and head back to my apartment and wait for it to finish washing.

Then while I am going about my business, housecleaning or playing Quordle or drinking coffee or reading, I will notice I still have that laundry tablet in my pocket.  In other words, I ran the washing machine without putting in any detergent.  That means I have to run the washing machine again with the tablet.  It's a waste of time and two dollars, and also further compromises the integrity of my clothes.  Why do I do dumb things like this?

I hate the word "impactful". 

Do you know how expensive it is to be me?  I have this ridiculous head of hair, which needs all kinds of curly-hair-specific haircare and styling products to look good.  I'm so short even petite clothes don't fit properly , so everything I wear needs to be tailored.  I'm a bit -um- top heavy, so my bras cost a fortune, especially sports bras.  Speaking of sports bras, exercise and healthy food are another giant expense because I gain weight easily.  Mother Nature apparently intended for me to be broke. 

I don't understand the concept of "War Crimes".  Isn't war itself a crime?  You're bombing and shooting people in order to kill them.  You're destroying property.  You're destroying nature.  You're destroying economic and physical infrastructure.  In peace time any of those things would be considered a crime.  "War Crime" is a redundant term.

I am fascinated by how mass media, particularly visual mass media, have created pop culture, and in turn created a common language and point of reference for everyone living within a society.  For example, this past Halloween the costume I wore to the office party consisted of a blue printed dress, white ankle socks, and flat shoes.  I wore my hair in a half-up-half-down style.  A few coworkers asked me if I was supposed to be Dorothy.  I told them no, I was Elaine.  Before movies and television, how likely would it be anyone would get that type of references.  I'm sure in 1900 children reading The Wizard of Oz wouldn't understand the reference because there was no common reference for what Dorothy looked like.  

I came to this conclusion doing my most recent play.  I do theater to enjoy myself and to express myself artistically because I don't have much in the way of other artistic talents.  When I am in a play, I do exactly what I need to do.  I show up for every rehearsal I can make.  I do my best to be on time.  I learn my lines.  I learn my music.  I write down my notes and blocking.  I work on it in my spare time.  Am I perfect?  No.  I could do better and put in more effort (I don't have Kevin's amazing work ethic) but I take my role seriously and put the work in.  What do I need in return?  I need clear direction.  I need constructive feedback.  I need correction when I do it wrong.  Do you know what I don't need?  Rants and lectures.  I don't need platitudes.  I need work.  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2