The 2022 Box: Remembering the Good Times

Last year I started a new tradition.  I found the idea on  Facebook (Facebook provided a good idea - what a rarity).  Every time a happy event happens, write it down and put it in a jar.  Then at the end of the year, open the jar and gain some perspective on how the year was. I didn’t have a jar, but I had a rustic wooden box I bought at the NY Renaissance Faire years ago.  I now designate it as my storage for memories.

2022 was a rough year.  Our family suffered a devastating loss.  After years of being careful, Kevin and I and a few of our family members succumbed to COVID - right at the start of our vacation no less.  But amidst the loss were some new beginnings.  We also had many good times.  It’s time to look back on the best of the best.

That cute wooden box.

Was it a bad year?  This is a large pile of papers.

January 22  - Malcolm and Steffanie's wedding.  The whole family convened for a fun (although cold) weekend in Boston.

February 8th - The family gathered for Eleanor's 96th birthday party.  Sadly it would be her last birthday, but it was good to have the family together for her one last time. 

April 8th - 10th - A successful run of Priscilla Queen of the Desert with the Harrison Players.

April 17th - I hosted Easter at our place with a Biscuit Bar Brunch.

April 23rd -  A beautiful evening out with Rich and Mickey at the NYBG Orchid Evening.

May 21st - Mom's birthday.  Despite recent tragedy, we were able to gather and enjoy a good pasta dinner. 

May 28th - Bryan and Jenny came to our place for a dinner party.  I missed giving dinner parties during the pandemic and it's wonderful to have people over again.

June 5th - I emcee another Dance Connection recital. 

June 18th - Kevin and I participated in the Harrison Players staged reading of our friend's original play The Hudson Valley UFO Incident.  

June 19th - Family pig roast for Noreen's 40th birthday party and Father's Day.

July 15th - Kevin and I took a road trip - almost a pilgrimage - to the Niantic Book Barn.  We enjoyed a lovely waterside lunch.  That same evening we had dinner with Dad and Beth in the city.  

July 16th - After a hearty fried chicken dinner at Baby Duke's,  I capped off my birthday with Erik's band Snap Crackle Pop.  I even sang a song with them - my first time fronting a band.

August 5th - My birthday present from Dad was tickets to Hadestown for this night.  I was lucky I had recovered from my bout of COVID in time.  I wanted to see that show for the longest time and I really enjoyed it.

August 21st - 28th - Our rescheduled trip to Chincoteague.  

September 2nd - We saw Dear Evan Hansen.  This was another show I was anxious to see and it was a few weeks away from closing when I bought the tickets - another stroke of luck.  I also spent a few hours exploring the Morgan Library the afternoon of the performance.

Sepetember 4th - We enjoyed the annual summer barbecue at Bryan and Jenny's.  They scheduled a special one just for us because we were in Chincoteague when they held their main summer event.

September 13th - After working for his company on a consulting basis for the past year, Kevin was offered a full-time position with the company. 

September 16th - Kevin and I saw Porcupine Tree.

September 18th - I received confirmation I was cast in She Loves Me with Curtain Call Theater in Stamford.  I successfully broke into a new theater group.  

September 23rd - Kevin was cast in The 39 Steps with Armonk Players.

October 6th-10th - Kevin and I celebrated our anniversary with a long weekend in Boston.  (We discovered some excellent doughnuts.)

October 30th - Malcolm and Steffanie welcomed their new baby girl, our grand-niece, Elle.

November 5th - Charles performed in the Area All-State Band.

November 11th - The 39 Steps opened and began its run.  Kevin gave a fabulous performance (so did the entire cast).

November 17th - Surprise visit from Sian.  We had breakfast at Angelina, strolled through the Bryant Park Holiday Market, and enjoyed the Hopper exhibit at the Whitney. 

November 18th - December 17th - My run of She Loves Me

December 15th - Kevin won his division in fantasy football.

December 18th - Bill and Anthony's holiday party - a beloved annual tradition with our theater friends.  

December 20th - Charles's school holiday band concert.

December 25th - Small Christmas dinner at home with Mom and Kevin.  We eat homemade waffles. 

December 26th-29th - Kevin and I took a short break at the Alpine Haus Bed & Breakfast so we can be close to the horses and easily ride every day.  We had to make up for all the time we lost with them due to the past two months of theater commitments.

December 31st. - As I write this, I am looking forward to a family New Year's Eve party at Erik's.

Not a bad year I would say!  We went to some interesting places, saw a lot, did a lot, and spent time with friends and family.  We have many blessings to count.  

We look forward to an even better 2023!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Not Curate and Edit Your Wardrobe (and still be happy with it)

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 4, Akureyri and Jewels of the North

Travels in Fire and Ice - Day 2